One of the most heart-wrenching moments in life is perhaps coping with the death of your pet.
Our quotes and sayings will help you express your sadness and pain in words. They are also unique ways to offer empathy to those who have just lost their beloved four-legged family member. We sincerely hope that they will bring some comfort, or least to let you know you are not alone, as you mourn the passing of your beloved pet.
Table of Contents
Losing A Special Cat
1. When the cat you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.
2. He was only a cat, but he was human enough to be a great comfort in hours of loneliness and pain. Dewey (1898 – 1910) – engraved on a tombstone in the Pine Ridge Pet Cemetery in Dedham, Massachusetts
3. One day all the cats we have ever loved will all come running towards us and that day will be a good day.
4. What greater gift than the love of a cat. Charles Dickens
5. Cats regard people as warm-blooded furniture. Jacquelyn Mitchard
6. There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. Albert Schweitzer
7. To anyone who has ever been owned by a cat, it will come as no surprise that there are all sorts of things about your cat you will never, as long as you live, forget. Not the least of these is your first sight of him or her. Cleveland Amory
9. It’s funny how…cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn’t it? Eleanor H. Porter
10. I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through. Jules Verne
11. The difference between friends and pets is that friends we allow into our company, pets we allow into our solitude. Robert Brault
12. Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose. Garrison Keillor
14. I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. Bill Dana
15. It is impossible for a lover of cats to banish these alert, gentle, and discriminating friends, who give us just enough of their regard and complaisance to make us hunger for more. Agnes Repplier
16. One day I was counting the cats and I absent-mindedly counted myself. Bobbie Ann Mason
17. No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. Leo Dworken
18. If you have a cat, you will most likely outlive it. To get a cat is to open yourself to profound joy and prospectively to equally profound sadness.
19. The loss of a cat is immeasurable but so is the love left behind.
20. A home without a cat — and a well fed, well petted and properly revered cat — may be a home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?
21. No heaven will not ever Heaven be, unless my cats are there to welcome me.
22. I am stunned at how much I miss her and how empty the house feels without her soft round self asleep on the sofa. With her passing goes a chunk of my son Matt’s childhood. He was 10 years old when he selected her out of a box of kittens abandoned at the wildlife center…. In Matt’s raising of and caring for Luna, I witnessed an enduring trait in my son: his extraordinary gift for nurturing. Leigh Pretnar Cousins
23. I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats. Eckhart Tolle
24. Someone asked me what the most difficult thing about having a cat was. I replied: “the goodbye”.
25. Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.
Pet urn quotes
26. No matter how bad my day was, you always made me smile
27. Sleep in peace, my Loyal Friend.
28. Although we are apart, your spirit lives within me, forever in my heart.
29. Your memories live on wherever we go.
30. Thank you for the happiness you gave us.
31. Always In Our Hearts.
32. Always In Our Thoughts.
34. Only true friends leave pawprints in our hearts.
35. Always Loved And Remembered.
36. Apart in distance but never in heart.
37. You entered my life and changed everything
38. Best Friend And Loving Companion
40. A loyal companion and best friend
Poems for Your Special Cat
41. Four Feet (Poem by Rudyard Kipling)
I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind:
But I can’t forget, if I wanted to,
Four-feet trotting behind.
Day after day, the whole day through
Wherever my road inclined
Four-feet said, “I am coming with you”
And trotted along behind
Now I must go by some other round,
Which I shall never find
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of four-feet trotting behind.
42. Heavenly Nap (Poem by Ron Tranmer)
You lived your nine lives here with me.
My loyal, loving friend.
Then God took you up to Paradise
to live life number ten.
I’ll bet you’re peacefully lying
upon an angel’s lap.
Purring there, without a care
Having a heavenly nap.
I’ll miss you for a little while,
But our friendship will not end.
Time will pass and then at last
You’ll be on my lap again.
43. I Stood By Your Bed Last Night (poem by unknown author)
I saw that you were crying.. you found it hard to sleep.
I whispered to you softly, as you brushed away a tear.
It’s me, I haven’t left you…
I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”
I was close to you at breakfast. I watched you pour the tea.
You were thinking of the many times,
Your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.
I just want you to know that
I’m not really lying there
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew..
In the stillness of that moment
I was very close to you.
I’m here so close beside you, so near you every day,
Believe me when I tell you:
I never went away.
44. I’m free
Don’t grieve for me,
for now I’m free
I’ve left behind some misery
My days of youthful agility
were no longer a possibility
My weak joints and cloudy eyes
Were longing for the heavenly skies
Before I lost all dignity
You let me enter eternity
Don’t grieve for me
You’ve set me free,
Just remember how I used to be.
Coping with Grief over Death
45. Don’t cry because it’s over, Smile because it happened. – Ted Geisel, Dr. Seuss
46. Heartbreak is life educating us. – George Bernard Shaw
47. Grief is so painfully real, regardless of its origin. The love of, and attachment to an animal friend can equal that of human relationships. Likewise, the loss of an animal can be just as devastating.
48. Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you..I loved you so- ’twas Heaven here with you. – Isla Paschal Richardson
49. No matter how or when we lose our furry friends, their love lasts a lifetime. Unknown
50. Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains un-awakened. Anatole France
52. The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief. But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love. – Hilary Stanton Zunin
53. They bring us love and happiness and comfort without end. It’s hard to face such sadness without your furry friend.
54. Some do not understand that we must die, But those who do realize this settle their quarrels. The Buddha, the Dhammapada, verse 6
55. While time will fade those pawprints, the ones left on your heart will never disappear.
56. Sorrow is how we learn to love. Your heart isn’t breaking. It hurts because it’s getting larger. The larger it gets, the more love it holds. –Rita Mae Brown
57. A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered. – Lacie Petitt
58. Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome. – Isaac Asimov
59. Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it. – Amy Sedaris
60. God’s finger touched him, and he slept. – Alfred, Lord Tennyson
61. The death of your pet is like a seed. It’s the beginning of life as living energy in spirit form. Love is never ending.
63. No longer by my side but forever in my heart.
64. The world is afflicted by death and decay. But the wise do not grieve, having realized the nature of the world. The Buddha, from Sutta Nipata
65. If there is a heaven, it’s certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them. Pam Brown
66. No time on Earth is long enough to share with the animals we love, or prepare our hearts to say goodbye
67. Do not grief for me. Feel me in your heart. Hear me with your Soul and see me with your mind. You are mine as I am yours.
68. From the moment I transitioned, my love for you is eternal.
69. Your pet has never left your side. They watch over and sleep with you because their love is never-ending.
Bonus: Cute and Hilarious Cats to Keep You Smiling (video)